This really is the most lip-smacking dinner. Served with fresh crusty bread and a good salad, it’s like heaven on a plate! It’s based loosely on Maple Chicken & Ribs from Nigella Express.
- 12 chicken thighs with skin and bone still on
- 250 ml apple juice (as sharp as possible)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 star anise or 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 cinnamon stick (halved)
- 6 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- Put the chicken pieces in a large freezer bags or into a dish.
- Add the remaining ingredients, squelching everything together well, before sealing the bag or covering the dish.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight or up to two days.
- When the marinating time is up, take the dish out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6/400ºF.
- Pour the contents of the freezer bag into one or two large roasting tins (making sure the chicken is skin-side up), place in the oven and cook for about an 45 minutes, by which time everything should be sticky and glossed conker-brown.